State Fair Scholarship Program
APPLICATIONS ARE CLOSED FOR THE 2015 SCHOLARSHIP
In association with corporate, civic and individual contributors, and with support from the State Fair Endowment, five $1,000 (four year) scholarships will be awarded to individuals who have participated in one or more of the following areas at the State Fair:
1. State Fair Junior Show – market animals, purebred animals and dairy.
2. Equine Programs – State Fair’s Open Horse Show or Junior Horse and Pony Show.
3. 4-H and FFA Youth Exhibit Program – 4-H and FFA Underwood Youth Center.
Applicants must be pursuing a vocational trade, associate or bachelor degree, and must have participated in the junior livestock show, equine show or 4-H and FFA Youth Exhibit Program within the previous five (5) years.
“The State Fair takes great pride in recognizing the youth of our state for their hard work and for their contributions to agriculture and the Fair through our scholarship program” Agricultural Competitions Manager, Kelly Collins stated. “We are happy to say that we have simplified our online application process and we look forward to meeting the 2015 class of recipients.”
All State Fair Scholarship applications and supporting documents must be filled out on the online application. Letters of recommendation may be mailed to the State Fair Office or be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 15, 2015.
2015 Youth Council Application will be available soon.
The goal of the Youth Leadership Council is to provide an opportunity for talented youth to expand their leadership and event management skills through involvement in the annual State Fair of West Virginia.
PROGRAM ACTIVITIES AND OBJECTIVES
1) Introduction and education of the Mission of The State Fair of West Virginia:
The mission of the State Fair of West Virginia is to produce a quality fair committed to the traditions of agriculture, family entertainment, and education, and to develop non-fair events that utilize existing facilities, that create opportunities for growth, and that benefit the community served by the facility.
2) Involvement and learning opportunities developed in the three key areas as outlined in the mission: Agriculture, Education and Family Entertainment. This will include volunteer opportunities during the annual State Fair and personal education/informational opportunities provided by State Fair staff and board of directors. Members will attend at least one prefair planning meeting and participate as necessary in prefair conference calls.
3) Council members will have the opportunity to to attend daily board meetings during the fair and may be invited to participate in promotional events at other times of the year.
- The Youth Leadership Council is open to youth ages 16 through 19 (by June 1 of this year) and is a great opportunity to earn community service hours.
- There are four council seats available with members selected through an application and interview process. Council members will serve one (1), one-year terms but may serve multiple terms.
- The Youth Leadership Council will receive a Youth Council shirt
Farming Heritage Award
2015 Farming Heritage Award Application will be available soon.
The Farming Heritage Award honors the history of agriculture as represented on the West Virginia State Seal and recognizes families who have worked in agriculture for generations.
The Farming Heritage Award is presented to a family that strives to maintain its rural lifestyle by contributing to the community, acting as role models, dedicating time to efficient agricultural production and to maintaining the upkeep of their farm.
This award is made possible through a partnership with the West Virginia Farm Bureau.
Winning families are treated to an awards ceremony during the State Fair on Governor’s Day, a luncheon, overnight accommodations, complimentary admission, preferred parking and a Natural Stone Sign award with the family’s name that may be displayed indoors or outdoors. A photo and brief biography of the winners are displayed in the Gus R. Douglass Annex during the State Fair.
Information on how to apply for the 2015 Farming Heritage Award will be made available in late winter of 2014. Please check back with us at that time.